DEERFIELD, Ill, Sept. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Building upon its efforts to provide greater access to vaccines and other health care services for populations in need, Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (Nasdaq: WAG) is partnering with the United Nations Foundation this flu season, to help provide up to 3 million life-saving vaccines to children in developing countries through a donation to the Foundation's Shot@Life campaign.
Walgreens customers have an opportunity to play an integral role in the cause. Now through Oct. 14, for every vaccine administered at any Walgreens pharmacy, Healthcare Clinic at select Walgreens or Duane Reade pharmacy in New York, Walgreens will donate the value of a life-saving vaccine, primarily those for polio and measles, through Shot@Life – up to 3 million vaccines. Statistics show 1 in 5 children worldwide lack access to life-saving immunizations, and a child dies every 20 seconds from a vaccine-preventable disease.
"We've developed a number of innovative programs and public-private partnerships through which we've helped improve immunization rates in medically underserved areas, and among other targeted populations in need across the U.S.," said Harry Leider, M.D., Walgreens chief medical officer. "With the growing need for life-saving vaccines such as polio and measles in developing countries, we're proud to work with the UN Foundation on this important cause that provides access to vaccine for children in need, creates greater awareness and furthers our mission to help people get, stay and live well."Shot@Life is a movement to protect children worldwide by providing life-saving vaccines where they are needed most. The campaign is focused on educating and empowering Americans to support and advocate for decreasing vaccine-preventable childhood deaths while giving children around the world a shot at a healthy life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV