NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Samsung is hosting an event in Berlin, Germany, along with a simultaneous viewing in Times Square to show off its new smartphone and smartwatch devices.
There have been several leaks as to what the smartwatch, dubbed Galaxy Gear, will look like. Pictures surfacing on the Internet suggest a sort of miniature smartphone, with a 3-inch screen, attached to a band.
The watch will be primarily used as a companion device to Samsung's many Galaxy smartphones, which run Google's (GOOG) Android operating system. Last month, Lee Young-hee, Samsung's executive vice president of mobile, confirmed the existence of the watch in an interview with The Korea Times.In contrast, Apple (AAPL) is expected to launch its own smartwatch within the next several months, a device which has already been dubbed the iWatch. Several other companies are expected to get into the industry, including Google, Microsoft (MSFT) and others. TheStreet's live blog of Samsung's event will start at 12:45 P.M. EST. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV