Chris Lau, Kapitall: Looking for energy stocks with a high yield? Check out these oil and gas companies.
High yield from investments can be hard to come by, including those in energy stocks. Interest rates are coming off all-time lows. Treasury bond yields are rising steadily, making it more difficult to find stocks in the energy sector as suitable investments. But two characteristics should interest income investors: strong cash flow and a history of steady dividend payouts.
[Read more from Kapitall: Online Gambling Stocks: Will the US Cash In?]
First a look at bondsRecently we’ve seen 10-year and 30-year bond yields rise sharply. The price of these bonds dropped, as illustrated in the chart below. Click on the interactive charts to see data over time. Sourced from Zacks Investment Research. &amp;amp;amp;lt;p&amp;amp;amp;gt;Your browser does not support iframes.&amp;amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;amp;gt; Investors should watch these yields, because a lower bond price will mean higher rates, and this return will compete for that offered from dividend-paying energy stocks. Energy stocks to consider Statoil ASA (STO) pays a dividend that yields 3.94%. Cash flow grew steadily over the last 4 years, with a net increase in cash and cash equivalents rising from $54 million in the 12 months ending December 31, 2008 to $2.03 billion in the 12 months ending December 31, 2012. [Read more from Kapitall: Online Gambling Stocks: Will the US Cash In?] The company is strengthening its balance sheet by selling assets in the North Sea for $2.65 billion. This will reduce capital costs for Statoil. And the company is expanding into African waters. Statoil is partnered with BP p.l.c. (BP) and ConocoPhillips (COP) to invest in wells offshore from Angola. One thing investors should note is that Statoil pays a dividend annually, not quarterly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV