The results of an Iron Mountain® Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) survey of IT professionals at small- and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) show almost all use or plan to use magnetic tape cartridges as part of their strategy to backup data.
As SMBs face growing data management challenges, tape remains a foundational tool for these organizations due to its cost effectiveness, longevity and ease of use.
Titled “Perception Versus Reality: The Role of Tape Backup in SMB,” the survey asked more than 400 North American IT professionals in March 2013 to assess the role tape backup. With 91 percent of the survey respondents coming from organizations with fewer than 250 employees, the results offer a unique glimpse into the IT landscape of today’s small and mid-size business. The survey was conducted by Spiceworks, the network for more than 2.5 million IT professionals.
Key findings from the survey point to a continued bright future for tape backup in the SMB market:
- One solution doesn’t fit all – Ninety-four percent of survey respondents using or planning to use tape are using it as part of a hybrid solution. The majority of those (67 percent) are using tape backup in conjunction with shared storage, while 44 percent are using it in conjunction with direct-attached storage or external hard drives. A quarter of respondents are currently using or plan to use cloud-based or online backup services.
- Tape is a valuable asset – When asked why IT professionals use or plan to use tape as a backup and recovery solution, 43 percent of respondents cited the cost-effectiveness of the solution, 24 percent noted the longevity of the technology and 20 percent commended tape’s superior storage capabilities.
- Tape is a multi-purpose solution – IT professionals using tape backup feel it is either “very effective” or “extremely effective” at addressing organizational challenges in data retention policies (61 percent), data archiving (60 percent), data recovery (58 percent) and disaster recovery (54 percent).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts