MicroVision, Inc. (NASDAQ: MVIS), a leader in innovative ultra-miniature projection display technology, today announced it is supplying multiple prototype Scanned Engine Subsystems (SES) to a leading global Tier-One automotive supplier (Tier-1), an important milestone in the multi-phased design win process for the Tier-1’s embedded Head Up Display (HUD) application. The SES systems will be part of the Tier-1’s reliability testing and characterization for potential use of PicoP® display technology in an embedded HUD application for at least one major automotive OEM. The order includes engineering services along with the prototype systems.
Rigorous evaluation and testing are integral elements in the process automotive suppliers follow to qualify components for inclusion in production automotive systems, in this case an embedded HUD. This Tier-1 supplier purchased multiple automotive PicoP ® Evaluation Kits from MicroVision in Q3 and Q4 of 2012 as part of its overall, comprehensive evaluation process. Moving to the reliability testing phase of the program is a precursor to further development and commercialization activities. Delivery of the units and commencement of acceptance testing are expected before the end of the year.
MicroVision’s HUD system based on patented PicoP ® display technology offers many advantages, including:
- High contrast that produces a clear see-through display with no background color. For night driving there is no background “glow” resulting in clear visibility of the projected information.
- High brightness, brilliant colors and a wide color gamut that enhance HUD information in varied natural backgrounds and in daytime lighting conditions.
- Ability to create an augmented reality display that presents information as if it is floating several feet in front of the driver.
- Efficiency and power savings as a result of pixel-by-pixel modulation that produces light only when needed.
- Small form factor for flexibility in embedded installation.
Discussing the growing HUD market, Ben Scott, technology solutions analyst for IHS Automotive, noted, “Projecting an image that floats about 2.5 meters, or 7.5 feet, in front of motorists’ eyes, HUDs are the optimal display technology for cars—with studies having shown that this distance delivers the fastest response time for viewers. Apart from showing speed and warning signals, HUDs are perfectly suited for displaying navigation information or advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) data, allowing drivers to access critical material while keeping their eyes on the road.” According to a recent report from IHS Automotive, the leading provider of comprehensive content, expertise and insight on the global automotive industry, worldwide sales of cars equipped with HUDs are set to expand by more than a factor of seven from 2012 to 2020.About MicroVision MicroVision is the creator of PicoP® display technology, an ultra-miniature laser projection solution for mobile consumer electronics, automotive head-up displays and other applications. MicroVision’s patented display technology helps OEMs break down display boundaries and offer enhanced visibility to mobile experiences. Nearly two decades of research has led MicroVision to become an independently recognized leader in the development of intellectual property. MicroVision’s IP portfolio has been recognized by the Patent Board as a top 50 IP portfolio among global industrial companies and is also included in the Ocean Tomo 300 Patent Index. The company is based in Redmond, Wash.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV