Chrysler said sales rose 12% to 165,552 units, its best August sales total since 2007. Ram pickup truck sales rose 31% to 33,009, the vehicle's best August sales since 2006. Overall Ram brand sales rose 29%, the largest sales gain for any Chrysler Group brand, to 33,587. Dodge brand sales rose 12%, Jeep brand sales rose 8%, Chrysler brand sales rose 2% and Fiat brand sales rose 1%.
"Last month we achieved our strongest retail sales in the past 60 months," said Reid Bigland, Chrysler's head of U.S. Sales. "All aspects of our business continue to improve as evidenced by our streak of 41-consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains."
Also Wednesday, Volkswagen said its U.S. sales fell 1.6% to 40,342.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV