NORTHBROOK, Ill., Sept. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- What can send a kid to college, keep a roof over your family's head and help you sleep better at night? Life insurance. However – despite these potential benefits – almost half of Americans don't have life insurance. 1
"Many people who could benefit from life insurance don't have it, sometimes because shopping for insurance is intimidating or they believe it's unaffordable," said Don Civgin, president and chief executive officer, Allstate Financial. "As part of September's Life Insurance Awareness Month, Allstate agents and exclusive financial specialists are offering complimentary insurance check-ups to help you assess your current insurance coverage based on your long-term financial needs. This information can help you decide if you need life insurance, how much, what type and how it can fit into your budget."
Life insurance can protect you and your family in many ways. Most obviously, the insurance's death benefit can help fund college tuition or the mortgage, cover unpaid medical bills and funeral expenses, or replace your income. Some life insurance products are employed as part of an estate plan, as a source of retirement income or to pay estate taxes. Life insurance coverage should be considered when you marry, divorce, have children or plan to start a business. And of course, you may want less coverage after your children leave home to live independently.Life insurance has become more affordable over the years. In addition, different types of life insurance can be tailored to individual budgets and needs. Term life insurance lasts for a specified period – somewhat like a lease on an apartment – and allows you to pay premiums for a given number of years of protection. At the end of the term, you can choose to renew at a new rate, discontinue protection or select a new policy. Alternatively, permanent life insurance can be considered to be more like owning a home. Permanent life insurance provides insurance throughout your life and accumulates cash value over time – like the equity in your home – assuming you make regular premium payments and avoid loans, withdrawals or surrenders. More information
- Watch Allstate agency owner Chris Manfredi explain how life insurance helped a customer's family at http://www.lifehappens.org/portfolio/tonia-wachtel-giving-a-family-what-it-needed. (Video courtesy of the Life Foundation.)
- Take a life insurance self-assessment at www.myallstatefinancial.net to learn more about life insurance in light of significant life events, such as a change in marital status, milestone birthday, buying a home or expanding your family.
- Visit www.myallstatefinancial.com/life-insurance.aspx for general information about life insurance.
- To find an Allstate agency near you, visit http://allstateagencies.com/agentlocator/searchpage.aspx.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts