Yet, the market focused primarily on the 2 cent earnings miss and wiped away more than $230 million in market value over a single trading session. No, this was not a bad quarter, but Krispy Kreme shares had risen more than 150% year to date, the stock was due for a breather, and this earnings miss provided the an excuse for some profit taking.
KKD data by YCharts
Where we go from here remains to be seen but I would not be surprised to see the shares continuing to be somewhat volatile in the near-term. In my view, Krispy Kreme's resurging growth story appears to remain intact. I began buying shares when the company just began turning around and appeared to be a value play. By now, in similar cases, I probably would have closed my position, and walked away. However, I believe there is still great value in the brand name and wonder what shares will be worth in five years, as the company continues global expansion.
At the time of publication the author was long KKD.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV