Today we show that 76.2% of all stocks are overvalued 42.4% by 20% or more. 15 of 16 sectors are overvalued 13 by double-digit percentages, of which eight are overvalued by 21% to 30.9%. Sector price-to-earnings ratios have become elevated between readings of 17.2 to 29.9.
Stock market strength has been artificially propped up by the Federal Reserve's monetary policy of a 0% to 0.25% federal funds rate since Dec. 16, 2008, nearly five years ago. On Sept. 13, 2012 the Fed launched QE3, the purchase of $40 billion a month of agency mortgage-backed securities. On Dec. 12, 2012, the Fed added QE4, the purchase of $45 billion a month of longer maturity U.S. Treasury notes and bonds. These policies have failed and the stock market has become vulnerable to what I call 'QE-Fatigue'.
The purpose of quantitative easing was to lower mortgage rates, but instead the 30-Year fixed rate mortgage is more than 100 basis points higher than before QE3 and QE4 were implemented.(CSCO) ($23.31) has recently been upgraded to buy from hold after declining from a multi-year high at $26.48 on Aug. 13. Annual and semiannual value levels are $22.76 and $22.39 with quarterly and monthly risky levels at $24.44 and $25.66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV