4 Signs Of Money Immaturity In Teens
For example, their fall clothing budget might include shoes, but no backpack or a jacket. Exposing your children to your planning process can help them start building one of their own.
"Further, give your child the option to save any unused portion of the budget to see if you can jump-start a desire to save money in your child," says Kay.
Additionally, Ulzheimer recommends adding your teen as an authorized user on your credit card (instead of co-signing for their own account) to help them learn responsible credit habits.
"It's like a credit card with training wheels," says Ulzheimer. "If they make mistakes using a credit card on your account, you will catch it before any serious debt racks up and correct the behavior immediately."Ulzheimer says this can help you stay engaged in the learning process, help build credit in their name and monitor progress as they mature.
The blessing of mistakesWhatever happens, don't give up on your teen. When teens make money mistakes with their checking account or credit cards, they may learn important lessons from the consequences, such as the dangers of bank fees or returned items. While teens will ultimately measure their progress in dollars and cents, the peace that comes from knowing you helped improve their financial habits may be priceless.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV