OAKLAND, Calif., Sept. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dictionary.com ( www . dictionary . com), the leader in online word discovery resources, is sending students back to school this fall with a superior command of language. Specifically, the company is loading the digital backpacks of elementary, high school and college students with all the tools they'll need to supercharge their vocabularies, hone their reading skills, and transcend average communicative abilities to shine in an increasingly competitive world.
Learning to Read at the Zoo: Helping Kids Read Younger, Get Smarter
To boost the youngest brains, Dictionary.com recently launched a new series of apps designed to help kids aged three to six learn to read. The first in the series, Learning to Read with Zoo Animals, introduces children to the world of animals with a challenging but accessible lexicon of more than 50 words presented in a safe, ad-free environment. This app series is the most visual, colorful and interactive from Dictionary.com to date, and leverages what kids prize most in order to get them to learn – fun.Thesaurus 2.0, Offering New Routes to Synonym Discovery for the First Time in 160 Years Those who lament the LOLs and OMGs that have stereotyped a generation of youngsters will welcome the re-envisioned Thesaurus.com, the world's most dynamic tool for articulation. Dictionary.com's newest desktop version of Thesaurus.com offers the first significant upgrade to any thesaurus in 160 years, with more than 1000 new modern terms, and a whole new way of capturing the right synonym. Instead of searching for synonyms in the traditional manner, writers can sort words by relevance, complexity and length, making it much easier to find that "perfect word." "Let's face it, in order to make good use of a traditional thesaurus, you have to already have a pretty advanced vocabulary," said Esteban Sardera, Senior Director of Core Products, Dictionary.com. "Where typical thesauri leave you with a context-free list of terms, Thesaurus 2.0 actually guides you to the word that works best for your exact situation." Thesaurus.com places the most up-to-date collection of synonyms and antonyms at the fingertips of students, writers, grammarians and people seeking just the right term. Find out for yourself by taking our tour! Re-envisioning the Dictionary for a Generation that Thinks on its FeetIn 2013, students learn 24/7, irrespective of physical location. Dictionary.com recognizes the value of context-based learning, and has recently revamped its apps for iPhone and iPad to offer students the ability to get the word they need in the exact moment they need it.
- Dictionary.com for iPhone . It's no accident that Dictionary.com apps have been downloaded more than 70 million times. Dictionary.com for iPhone offers a fast, modern design and makes it easier than ever to explore the English language. Additionally, daily slideshows with surprising word facts as well as an upgraded language translator with over 30 languages will make a first-class vocabulary more attainable than ever. The new Rhyming Dictionary, with over 500,000 rhyming words, will connect authors, poets and lyricists to their muse (available as an upgrade).
- Dictionary.com for iPad 3.1 . Dictionary.com has also revamped its app for iPad, offering new features that will appeal to those interested in science, medicine, or who simply want to take a more active role in their own healthcare. The new version includes a medical dictionary with 35,000 definitions, and a science dictionary with 23,000 definitions and illustrations (these features are available as an upgrade). Additionally, Dictionary.com for iPad features a translator with more than 30 languages, and – by popular request -- the return of the back button! And finally, users will gain access to the most decidedly modern collection of words available, including terms like photobomb, attachment parenting, digital native and more. Dictionary.com's latest apps are part of a rapidly expanding suite of products, including GRE by Dictionary.com, Word Dynamo, SAT by Dictionary.com and more, which gives students resources that become a natural extension of their preferences and habits, enhancing their learning experience.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV