Hesitation on Syrian Strike Threatens Economic Recovery
The liberals and Tea Party, who are very reluctant to support military force unless U.S. security is directly threatened, should consider the longer-term consequences of U.S. inaction on the economy and jobs.
With the United States, China, Japan and Germany account for about half the global economy and the latter already view the United States as a weak and fading power. By history and design, none has much use for the rules of commerce established by the WTO and similar institutions, and have acted with considerable impunity.
For example, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's economic recovery program hinges on purposefully undervaluing the yen to pump up exports and steal jobs in the U.S. automotive sector and elsewhere in U.S. manufacturing.
Chinese and German commercial policies victimize smaller nations -- consider what Angela Merkel's austerity policies are doing to Greece and Portugal to keep Germany's export machine going -- and destroy American jobs -- China's undervalued yuan and naked protectionism stole the solar panel industry from U.S. manufacturers.They behave so badly, despite U.S. protestations, because Obama is viewed as weak and naive. By leading from behind internationally and failing to act forcefully against protectionism that harms American workers, he has emboldened those nations to give lip service to international rules and then do whatever they please. Meanwhile, the U.S. recovery drags along at a paltry 2%, while China grows at 7.5%, and Japan and Germany recover. If the liberals and Tea Party block U.S. military action, that vote will mark the end of the United States of America as a prosperous nation with the resolve to lead. Follow @PMorici1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV