Women Ask: Why Have We Been Getting as Little as 4% of VC Money?
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- It seems male investors like to give their money to other men -- even when the product is geared toward female consumers.
This became clear last month when entrepreneur and co-founder of popular sports website BleacherReport.com Bryan Goldberg caused an uproar when he announced the launch of a female-focused website, Bustle.com. The uproar was not so much caused by his encroachment on the terrain of women-themed sites, but because he claimed he was carving out new territory -- dismissing a slew of existing websites such as Jezebel, The Hairpin and Bust.
Adding to the collective ire was Goldberg's bragging at having been granted $6.5 million to launch Bustle, then offering to pay female staffers $100 a day for up to six posts, which translates to $26,000 a year, assuming the gig is full time. (The ads for these positions have been removed from the Web).
By comparison, the women's websites already out there -- founded and run mainly by women -- often run on much more modest budgets, having been overlooked by investors despite their popularity.In an open letter to Goldberg, the Bust editors decried that he "was actually able to launch a website, with a spiffy responsive design ... All because some other men gave him $6.5 million." Gatekeepers of Venture Growth: The Role and Participation of Women in the Venture Capital Industry, found that at the turn of the century women represented less than 10% of high-level venture capitalists and had been leaving the industry at twice the rate of men.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV