Drug Reduces Hospitalizations And Cost Of Treating Young Children With Sickle Cell Anemia
Hydroxyurea was developed in the 1960s as a possible anti-cancer agent. It won approval for treatment of adults and later adolescents with sickle cell anemia in 1998 following evidence that the drug reduced episodes of severe pain and improved patient quality of life.
The drug works by increasing production of fetal hemoglobin, a form of the oxygen-carrying protein that is unaffected by the mutations that cause sickle cell disease. Fetal hemoglobin normally drops dramatically after birth. Hydroxyurea, however, increases production of red blood cells that contain that form of hemoglobin.
The drug remains an underutilized treatment for sickle cell anemia. Wang estimated the drug is prescribed to about 30 percent of pediatric patients nationwide and an even smaller percentage of adults. Work is underway at St. Jude and other medical centers to identify and address barriers to more widespread use of the drug, including lingering concerns about possible long-term toxicity.
The senior author is Scott Grosse of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The other authors are Suzette Oyeku, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, N.Y.; Zhaoyu Lou, Billie Fish and Bruce Thompson, all of Clinical Trials and Surveys Corp., Owings Mills, Md.; Sheree Boulet, CDC; Scott Miller, SUNY-Downstate Medical Center/King's County Hospital Center, Brooklyn; and James Casella, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore.The research was funded in part by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. SOURCE St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV