5 Reasons It's Just About Too Late to Book Holiday Travel
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- You're already up to your elbows in pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin beers, pop-up costume shops and Candy Corn Oreos. Exactly how much longer do you think you'll have to buy those Thanksgiving or Christmas airline tickets for less than the price of your first car?
If you're even entertaining the idea of flying somewhere for Thanksgiving dinner, you're out of time to procrastinate. According to Rick Seaney, analyst and CEO for travel website FareCompare, roughly two months out is the best time to shop for both holiday airfares and desired flight times. As the days pass, it's going to get a lot tougher to find a low-cost fare or a non-redeye flight without arriving or departing on Thanksgiving Day itself.
We don't care how early it seems or if your summer vacation just ended, and neither do the airlines. Holiday travel surcharges, shrinking capacity and a narrow travel window all help jack up prices while reducing alternatives for slow-footed folks such as yourself. Want to track down some early holiday presents? Start with your plane ticket.
We took our annual spin with the folks from TripAdvisor's SmarterTravel (TRIP), Priceline (PCLN) and found that not only are you cutting it close this far out, but you may have waited just a bit too late. Here are five reasons why:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV