The UK Government Is "in A Minority Of One" Over Legal Highs Says Angelus Foundation
LONDON, September 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
A new report by the Centre for Social Justice , 'No Quick Fix' follows many others calling on the Government to act.
Maryon Stewart of the Angelus Foundation, said today the UK Government was "totally isolated" from all experts about the threat from legal highs. Her words followed the latest publication (Centre for Social Justice) to include stark warnings of the risk to young peoples' lives and well-being from new psychoactive substances (NPS).
The Centre for Social Justice said NPS represented, "a paradigm shift in the way substances are viewed and obtained." This report follows several others from a wide range of experts who have all raised deep concerns about the lack of Government action over legal highs.The Chair of the Advisory Council, Sir Les Iversen said, "We will get unexpected and serious harm emerging with one of these compounds and then we will blame ourselves for allowing them to be sold without the usual safety data. I think this is a serious problem, it's not just a nice set of party drugs that we can let people get on with, it's a set of chemicals that are potentially very dangerous." Chair of Home Affairs Select Committee, Rt. Hon Keith Vaz said, "A number of vital areas of drug policy have been dangerously neglected. The number of deaths from 'legal highs' is rising sharply and the temporary class drug order is a stopgap rather than a solution." Baroness Meacher, Chair of All Party Parliamentary Group for Drug Reform said, "'Legal Highs' require reform of UK drug policy….the Misuse of Drugs Act is counter-productive in attempting to reduce drug addiction and other drug harms to young people."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV