The feature isn't totally new but it's now showing up in more TVs. Sony offers it on its UHD TV; Samsung added the feature to its new curved OLED TV. While it may be cheaper to just buy two separate TVs, two main benefactors are parents with children who want to watch separate shows in the same room, or competing gamers who want to see their own game play in full-screen mode and not split screen.
Second Screens -- Consumers created their own second screen by using Twitter and Facebook (FB) on their laptops or smartphones while watching TV. Now there's a plethora of mobile apps to supplement TV watching with content that responds to the TV screen. And TV show producers are getting in on it too. Last year, AMC (AMCX) debuted Story Sync for its "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead" shows. Viewers could get extra information about scenes and characters and interact with other viewers.
$100 32-inch LCD TV --While we saw some rare $100 LCD TVs last Black Friday, there are some who predict prices for 32-inch LCD TVs to hit closer to the $100 mark this holiday. There are many good reasons for this: Flat-TVs are considered a mature technology, so little needs to change for manufacturing purposes.
And in the past year, there was an overproduction of LCD glass panels, which means prices are dropping in order to clear out inventory. Sweta Dash, an analyst with IHS iSuppli, is more conservative about low prices and expects 32-inch LCD TV prices to hit around $133 this holiday season.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV