10 Most Powerful NY Tech Titans
NEW YORK TheStreet--New York's "Silicon Alley" has a growing tech scene. Behind only Silicon Valley and Boston, New York City is the U.S. region with the 3rd most- venture capital funding. And it's spawned a community of startups, many of which draw on the resources the city already has to offer. Some of the biggest e-commerce startups are in New York City, in part because it's a place where much of the fashion and retail industries flourish.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been vocal about his efforts to make New York a tech hub. Bloomberg helped Cornell secure a tech campus, which is being built on Roosevelt Island. This past June, Bloomberg urged Stanford graduates to come to New York, "because we're the hottest new tech scene in the country." He also joked that they "May even be able to find a date with a girl whose name is not Siri."
At a time when New York aims to make its city more tech-friendly, some of 2013's biggest tech acquisitions are happening here. Both Tumblr, which was purchased by Yahoo! (YHOO) earlier this year, and MakerBot ( acquired by Stratasys (SSYS)) are New York-based. Some big names are emerging on the New York tech scene, with the following a list of who's who in Silicon Alley:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV