MORRISTOWN, N.J., Aug. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) reminds customers to beware of telemarketers and door-to-door salespeople claiming to be employees of JCP&L or FirstEnergy.
Some third-party salespeople are reportedly using deceptive and/or aggressive tactics to convince customers to switch electric generation suppliers. While JCP&L customers have the right to choose an alternative generation supplier under New Jersey's Energy Choice Program, the company urges customers to be cautious if they are contacted via phone or approached at their home, particularly if the salesperson claims to be affiliated with JCP&L.
- JCP&L employees and contractors do not engage in telemarketing or door-to-door sales for the purpose of encouraging residential customers to switch energy suppliers.
- JCP&L employees do not ask for sensitive information such as social security numbers or bank account numbers. In addition, JCP&L employees do not ask customers to provide a copy of their electric bill.
- Virtually all visits to customer homes by company representatives or contractors are prearranged by the customer or through a call to the customer.
- All JCP&L and FirstEnergy employees and contractors must carry company-issued photo identification. If someone claiming to be from JCP&L comes to your door, ask to see the individual's identification.
- If customers have any doubts about a caller or visitor claiming to represent JCP&L or FirstEnergy, or about the information they are being asked to provide, they can call JCP&L at 1-800-662-3115 for verification. If the caller or visitor is a scammer, customers should contact their local police department to report the fraud.
- While the practice is not used by JCP&L, other electricity suppliers licensed by the state may use agents to conduct door-to-door or telephone marketing or sales activities. Their activities must comply with all federal, state and municipal laws and regulations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV