NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Don't buy gold if Western powers militarily intervene in Syria.
Many investors view the yellow metal as an asset hedge against crises, but it's important to interpret Syria as a much more dynamic situation.
"The risk premium for Syria is already built into the price currently, and there would normally be a flight to dollars should conflict arise," said Graham Leighton, a trader at Marex Spectron.
Gold's 2% rise on Tuesday afternoon resulted from traders pricing in the likelihood that the United States and other Western powers would act in Syria, following Secretary of State John Kerry's comments.At COMEX gold's current price of $1,397.80, the precious metal has fallen 1.6% since Tuesday. This doesn't mean gold is entering a correction period during which it will fall an additional 7% -- an elimination of the total gains in August -- but it does suggest that traders felt the asset may have been overbought. In interviews with traders since gold's bounce on Tuesday, most mentioned three different scenarios with two likely outcomes for the gold market. The first is if the West engages in a limited airstrike on Syria; the second is if there isn't any action taken; and lastly is if the airstrike turns into a broader operation with troops in the country. If the United States or another Western country launches a limited airstrike -- one that lasts a few days or less -- traders said it's probably best to sell gold positions whether they're in gold exchange-traded funds, gold mining stocks or futures. "The likelihood is that when we see those missiles fly some of the uninformed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV