NEW YORK ( The Deal) -- China Petrochemical Corp. (SNP) has agreed to pay $3.1 billion for a 33% stake in Apache (APA) Egyptian oil and gas business, reducing the Houston-based seller's exposure to the troubled country and providing further evidence of China's willingness to take on political risk to expand its oil reserves.
Beijing-based China Petrochemical, known as Sinopec, will be entitled to a one-third share of Apache's daily Egyptian output of about 100,000 barrels of oil and 354 million cubic feet of natural gas. Apache will retain a 67% stake in the operation and continue in its role as the site operator.
"A game changer transaction in our view as it further bolsters the momentum for change at APA
The sale leaves Apache with an unexpected surplus to its targeted $4 billion of assets sales that were announced in May as part of a plan to raise cash and rebalance its portfolio. Apache in July agreed to sell Gulf of Mexico assets to private equity-backed Fieldwood Energy for $3.75 billion, not including about $1.5 billion of asset retirement obligations linked to the assets.The deal values the Apache's Egyptian oilfield assets at $6.2 billion, or 4.2 times their forecast cash flow for 2014, Morgan Stanley analysts Evan Calio, Benny Wong and Jacob Dweck wrote in a note published Friday, Aug. 30. "We believe
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV