The Chicago Purchasing Managers Index reflecting business conditions in the Chicago area increased to 53 in August, as expected by economists, from 52.3 in July.
Friday marks the last trading session of the month. Major U.S. stock indices logged their worst one-month in more than a year, weighed down by concerns about potential Federal Reserve tapering of bond purchases in September, the U.S. fiscal budget negotiations coming up in the fall, and worries about any devastating global impact that could arise from an attack on Syria.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was down 4/32, pushing the yield to 2.779%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV