So GE appears to be ready to trim much more of GE Capital's liquidity risk exposure than previously expected. This is critically important for the company, since its finance unit is now under Federal Reserve supervision as a systemically important non-bank financial company, and will have its dividend payments to the parent company subject to review through the regulator's annual stress tests, beginning in March 2014.
GE declined a request for comment. The company's stock was up 1.5% in premarket trading to $23.45.
More on the Stock
GE in February increased its common share buyback authorization to $35 billion from $25 billion. Immelt has previously said the company's 2013 share repurchases would total about $10 billion. The company last month said that through the second quarter it had "returned $9.9 billion to investors year-to-date through dividends and share buybacks."
General Electric's shares closed at $23.11 Thursday, returning 12% year-to-date, following a 21% return during 2012.Based on a quarterly payout of 19 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 3.29%. The shares trade for 12.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.82. The consensus 2015 EPS estimate is $2.00. GE data by YCharts
Interested in more on General Electric? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV