French President Backs Syria Action
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- French President Francois Hollande has voiced his support for intervention in Syria, just a day after the U.K. Parliament voted against involvement in any military strikes.
In an interview with Le Monde, Hollande said that international military action in Syria should "strike a body blow" against the regime of Bashar Al-Assad.
Washington has accused the Syrian government of using chemical weapons in a recent attack on a rebel-held Damascus suburb, raising the possibility of U.S. attack against Assad's forces. Assad, who is locked in a bloody civil war, has denied his government's involvement in the attack.
In the interview, Hollande said that "the chemical weapons massacre in Damascus cannot and should not go unpunished."The French Parliament is scheduled to meet next Wednesday to discuss the Syria crisis, although Hollande said that the attack could happen by that day. On Thursday night, members of the British Parliament voted to block any U.K. involvement in an attack on Syria. The surprise veto from a key U.S. ally was seen as a blow to the Obama administration's efforts to tackle Assad. Speaking in a press conference in the Phillipines on Friday, U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said that America would continue to work on building an international coalition to support any action, according to The Wall Street Journal. President Obama has indicated that he has not yet arrived at a firm decision to act. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV