NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Automakers have developed plenty of cool hybrids, crossovers and other revolutionary cars in recent years -- but they've also rolled out their share of duds.
From a cloth-topped sport utility vehicle to a car that tried to cross a Cadillac's luxury with a Corvette's performance, manufacturers have offered plenty of models over the past decade that bombed in the marketplace.
"Sometimes a car company will say, 'This is the next big thing,' or 'This is a game changer' -- but it turns out that it's not. What they don't realize is that no one's built a car like that before because there's no demand for one," says Mark Takahashi of Edmunds.com, which recently chose the Top Automotive Failures of the Last Decade.
Edmunds editors assembled their list by looking at mainstream vehicles with either the lowest overall sales during the past 10 years or those that sold poorly compared with competitors.Takahashi says many models on the list attracted just a few dozen buyers (or worse) each month. That's less than 1% of the roughly 28,000 people who buy the Toyota Camry, America's bestselling model, every 30 days. "A lot of these cars tend to models that step well outside of a manufacturer's comfort zone, and we applaud that," Takahashi says. "But there has to be a market for something or it won't succeed." Click below to check out Edmunds' choices for the U.S. auto market's five biggest flops of the past decade, based on total sales as of April. Dates in parentheses refer to the years a model has been or was for sale, while the list excludes high-cost, low-volume brands such as Ferrari and Lamborghini.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV