Asia Stocks Subdued As Japan Data, Syria Weigh
Earlier in Asia, the Nikkei 225 index closed down 0.5 percent at 13,388.86. But gains were posted elsewhere in Asia. Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.2 percent to 21,668.90. South Korea's Kospi gained 1 percent to 1,926.36. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 added 0.8 percent to 5,135.
Manufacturing in the world's No. 3 economy rose 1.6 percent in July from a year earlier and 3.2 percent from the month before. While that pointed to an economic recovery, analysts had expected to see a 3.6 percent increase.
Energy prices, meanwhile, continued to retreat from a two-year high.
Benchmark oil for October delivery was down $1.31 to $107.41 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.In currencies, the euro was down 0.24 percent at $1.3205. ___ Associated Press Business Writer Pamela Sampson contributed to this report. Follow Sampson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pamelasampson
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV