Consumer Prices Climb In Japan, Retail Sales Fall
"Perhaps the biggest threat to consumer spending is the rise in inflation," it said, noting that bustling sales earlier in the summer were probably helped by June bonus payments and overtime.
"Households are probably well aware that once the summer bonus season is over, wages will likely continue shrinking, depressing their purchasing power," it said.
Still, the overall positive tone of the July data will likely bolster support for pushing ahead with a sales tax planned for April 1, 2014. A decision on that plan is due within the next month.
The anticipated 3 percent increase in the nationwide sales tax, to 8 percent, will undoubtedly be a blow, Ishioka said, but she expects it to be short-lived given the currently favorable trends."People's sentiment is improving. I think the fundamental conditions are OK," she said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV