By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders are looking for Baxter International (BAX) to return to its recent highs near $75.
optionMONSTER's tracking systems detected the purchase of 4,200 October 75 calls, most of which priced for 30 cents. Volume was more than 10 times previous open interest at the strike, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the medical-products company, letting investors cheaply position for a rally. They can generate significant leverage to the upside, while also controlling losses if the stock heads lower. See our Education Section for more on how to manage risk with options.Baxter fell 0.79% to $70.16 Thursday, and has been moving sideways for the last six months. It's now near the bottom of the trading range and is near its 200-day moving average. That could make some chart watchers think the shares are due for a bounce soon. Total option volume was quadruple the daily average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 10 to 1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV