IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. has unveiled an IT system for light commercial vehicles that harnesses the power of smartphones to provide safety and performance data to both drivers and fleet managers in real time.
By using the service, demonstrated for the first time at Nissan 360 in California, fleet managers will be able to cut down on running costs by remotely monitoring maintenance information, as well as the driving behavior of their staff, while the vehicles are on the road. Drivers will also receive real-time information to help them operate their vehicles more safely.
Nissan aims to install the system in the vehicles for business owners which are being considered for launches in the future.The service works by linking a smartphone, or other connected device, wirelessly to the vehicle's IT system, while maintaining a high level of security. Data is then uploaded using the mobile telephony network to the cloud where it can be accessed by fleet managers remotely. By integrating smartphones into the system Nissan will be able to offer, at a low price, services comparable to a dedicated car navigation system for businesses. The features that have been unveiled are: (1) Services for drivers
- Notify when the vehicle exceeds preset speed
- Eco-driving and smart driving diagnosis results
- Automated notification of EV charging spots when battery capacity is low (applicable for electric vehicles)
- Function for confirming vehicle location
- Vehicle maintenance information (informing maintenance timing based on miles driven)
- Eco-driving and smart driving diagnosis results of each driver
- Electricity mileage information (applicable in the case of EVs)
- Function for confirming charging status and battery condition (applicable in the case of EVs)