Covidien (NYSE: COV), a global healthcare products company, announced that it has prevailed against Applied Medical Resources, Inc. in a patent action before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
In May 2011, Applied Medical sued Covidien in connection with Covidien’s sale of certain trocar products. On August 27, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the lower court’s previous ruling that Covidien’s trocar products do not infringe Applied Medical’s patent.
This is the fifth patent infringement action since 2000 that Applied Medical has brought against Covidien (and its predecessor companies) relating to trocars seals. Covidien has secured dismissal of all five of these actions.
“We are pleased the Court recognized that Covidien’s trocar products are differentiated from our competitors. As we have demonstrated, we will vigorously protect our innovative products, solutions and intellectual property,” stated Steve Blazejewski, President of Surgical Supplies, Covidien.About Covidien Covidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien manufactures, distributes and services a diverse range of industry-leading products in medical devices and supplies. With 2012 revenue of $9.9 billion, Covidien has 38,000 employees worldwide in 70 countries, and its products are sold in over 140 countries. Please visit www.covidien.com to learn more about our business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV