The year 1968 is often regarded as a turning point in American history. In Minnesota, it marked the opening of Minneapolis’ Nicollet Mall, the iconic, closed-to-traffic outdoor shopping and office venue. It also was the year Vice President and former Minnesota Senator Hubert Humphrey ran for president, after securing the Democratic nomination over Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy. And Cub ® Foods was founded by Stillwater-based brothers Charles and Jack Hooley, brother-in-law Robert Thueson, and friend and business partner Culver Davis, Jr.
To commemorate this landmark year in Minnesota history, Cub, a division of SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE: SVU), is launching a month-long celebration during September.
“Cub has been Minnesota’s hometown grocer for multiple generations, and we wanted to find a special way to celebrate our anniversary and thank the community for their support,” said Brian Audette, Cub president. “Over the past 45 years, our employees helped to make Cub a grocery leader, and our more than 5,000 current employees continue that great tradition of service and excellence in our stores today.”
A month of prizesThroughout September, Cub will be giving away gift cards and other prizes totaling more than $100,000. Each day from Sept. 1 to Sept. 28 at each of Cub’s 67 stores, one customer will be awarded a surprise, instant-win $45 store gift card. Winners will be selected at random and notified daily between September 1st and September 28 th.Cub also is inviting local residents to submit via Facebook a photo or video representing their favorite Cub moment or why they love Cub for a chance to win a year’s worth of free groceries valued at $4,500 in the form of Cub gift cards. Additional details about the contest can be found on Cub’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cub. At the Minnesota State FairCub is kicking off its anniversary celebration at the Minnesota State Fair on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2, with special events planned at Carousel Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., including:
- A “Best Bagger” competition, featuring local team mascots, including T.C. Bear (Minnesota Twins), Goldy Gopher (University of Minnesota) and Mudonna (St. Paul Saints), as well as participants from the crowd
- Autograph sessions with former Twins first-baseman Gene Larkin and former Vikings defensive-end “Benchwarmer Bob” Lurtsema
- Music by the Mud Dogs, a Midwest favorite band
- Meet-and-greets with local growers
- Random Cub gift card giveaways
- Announcement of the Minnesota Vikings Kick for Cash event
- Presentation to the Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund
- Presentation to Cub from Second Harvest Heartland of its 2013 Hunger Action Hero green award for donating more than 7 million pounds of fresh food and for Cub’s ongoing support of the organization’s hunger-relief efforts with time, funds and expertise
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts