Chris Lao, Kapitall: AMD has pushed back the release of its Kabini processor, but does that justify a slump in stock price?
Advanced Micro Devices ( AMD ) could delay the launch of a budget processor for PCs. DigiTimes and TechSpot reported that AMD pushed back the release date of Kabini-based Accelerated Processing Units (APU). The news contributed to a recent slide in AMD shares. With AMD now down 10.5% in a month, it might be a good time to assess the company’s prospects in the near future.
The Kabini architecture targets budget computers, and is an important source of income for AMD. Built on a mere 28 nanometers, the processor is quad-core, and consumes just 25W. If AMD does delay the launch, it will benefit Intel (INTC). Lately, Intel’s shares are not doing well either. Despite paying a dividend yielding 4.04%, with consistently strong profit margins every quarter, Intel still expects sales to grow modestly.[Read more from Kapitall: Whats Next For Bill Ackman] AMD is underperforming Intel in the near-term as shown in the chart below, but is still up 42.5% in 2013 compared to 11.4% for Intel. Optimism is high that AMD will benefit from sales of system on chip (SoC) integrated circuits in gaming consoles. Click on the interactive charts below to see data over time. Delay insignificant The chip delay is not very significant, since only a matter of a few extra months. In the interim, investors can look forward to new graphics card releases and revenue from SoCs. What will matter for AMD is product pricing. If the company can price the budget chip aggressively, it can grow its market share in the PC sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV