- Reconsider your competition: A tennis match is between you, the ball and the target—not your opponent. During a point, your main focus should be seeing the ball so intently that it looks to be coming more slowly and appears larger. Your main objective is to place the ball at the most difficult spot for your opponent.
- Toss to your swing: The most important concept in tennis is to have the optimal contact point on every shot you hit. During your serve, remember the phrase “toss to your swing, don’t swing to your toss.” Practice your ball toss so you can consistently deliver it into the strength zone for your serve.
- Reading is fundamental: No two balls will ever travel across the net in the same way, therefore, the skill to “read” the flight of the ball sooner and more accurately will allow you to have the optimum contact point for the most power and accuracy. Choose to read well and have the best contact point on every shot, and the wins will come.
- A forehand does not exist: During a match the only two kinds of shots that exist are a set up shot and a finishing shot. In between you’re either trying to develop the point or end the point. Work on your forehand groundstroke and backhand volley during practice but don’t over think what stroke to use in your game. Be smart and know what the potential and limitations are with each shot you hit.
- Use your trigger finger: To improve serve speed, space your index finger slightly wider with the second finger and use your “trigger” finger to accelerate the racket at contact. Try this with your forehand volley and groundstroke and you’ll your increase power too.
It’s U.S. Open Time – How’s Your Game?
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts