Apple may also extend the battery life on the iPhone. The iPhone 5 has 8 hours of browsing time on LTE networks, 8 hours of talk time and 10 hours of talk time.
There's always speculation that Apple will do something with payments processing, especially as it looks to build up its software and services revenue. On Apple's fiscal second-quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook answered Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's question, saying the payments space is just getting started. "I think it's in its infancy, Gene," Cook said on the call. "I think it's just getting started and just out of the starting block."
Whatever and wherever Apple does indeed make the announcement, it'll likely capture the interest and imagination of the media, consumers, Wall Street and perhaps the world alike. That's "one more thing" worth waiting for.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York>Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV