"I'm scared to death to short Tesla," Gundlach said. "It's a cultish stock and who knows where it goes?"
Tesla shares were slightly lower in Thursday trading, off 0.31% to $165.93.
The legendary investor also gave a slew of investment ideas, including Apple (AAPL), mortgage REITS, and where he thinks the 10-year U.S. Treasury is headed.Gundlach said that he thinks Apple moves a little higher, but that it has problems around $530. "Apple is a dead money stock for quite a while to come, once it settles in around $530," the investor said in an interview on CNBC. TheStreet broke the news earlier this year that Gundlach and DoubleLine owned Apple in one of DoubleLine's equity portfolios. Gundlach had previously said that Apple would go to $500 "fairly easily", which it did earlier this month. He now believes the easy money on Apple has been made, and it will struggle around $530 for some time. Gundlach also touched on mortgage REITS, saying that some of them offer plenty of yield right now, and are trading at discounts to net asset values. "There is plenty of yield right now in the bond market, but it's not in Treasuries" Gundlach said. "I'm talking about closed-end funds, I'm talking about mortgage REITs. These are vehicles that are trading at 10% discounts to their net asset values, or for REITs versus their book value." He mentioned Annaly Capital Management (NLY) as being attractive right now. Earlier this year, Gundlach had said that mortgage REITs would have difficulties advancing in price, but he'd buy Annaly if it fell to $12. Touching on the 10-year U.S. Treasury, Gundlach said he now thinks the yield on the bond could hit 3.1% sometime later this year, as the Federal Reserve starts to taper its quantitative easing program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV