Investors considering a purchase of PC Connection, Inc. (PCCC) shares, but cautious about paying the going market price of $15.30/share, might benefit from considering selling puts among the alternative strategies at their disposal. One interesting put contract in particular, is the April 2014 put at the $15 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.00. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 6.7% return against the $15 commitment, or a 10.4% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).
Selling a put does not give an investor access to PCCC's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. And the person on the other side of the contract would only benefit from exercising at the $15 strike if doing so produced a better outcome than selling at the going market price. (Do options carry counterparty risk? This and six other common options myths debunked). So unless PC Connection, Inc. sees its shares decline 1.8% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $14.00 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.00 from $15), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 10.4% annualized rate of return.
Worth considering, is that the annualized 10.4% figure actually exceeds the 2.5% annualized dividend paid by PC Connection, Inc. by 7.9%, based on the current share price of $15.30. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to fall 1.77% to reach the $15 strike price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV