AKRON, Ohio, Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As drivers take to the track for this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series races at Atlanta Motor Speedway, they'll be riding on a newly designed Goodyear Eagle race tire with roots in consumer tire technology.
Goodyear's new right-side tire for Atlanta marks the introduction of its Multi-Zone Tread Technology, which combines two different rubber compounds in a single tread to face the conditions of one of NASCAR's most demanding speedways. And while Goodyear often applies what it learns in the high-performance world of NASCAR to the development of consumer tires, this time technology was transferred from the street to the track." Atlanta is one of our biggest challenges from a tire perspective," said Stu Grant, Goodyear's general manager of worldwide racing. "The abrasive track surface causes extremely high wear, while the length and layout promote very high speeds." To face this challenge, Goodyear engineers set out to develop a tire capable of offering both superior traction and wear—two typically opposing properties. The solution was found in Goodyear's Assurance TripleTred All-Season passenger tire. The Assurance TripleTred pioneered the concept of multiple tread zones in auto tires, featuring three distinct zones for superior traction in wet, icy and dry conditions. "Developing the right tire for each NASCAR track always requires finding a good balance between traction and durability," said Grant. "The goal of our new Multi-Zone Tread is to help us offer drivers more of both." To accomplish this, Goodyear's newest NASCAR tire utilizes two unique tread zones. An Endurance Zone on the tire's inside shoulder features a firmer compound to help manage wear for enhanced durability on the track. The outside two-thirds of the tread makes up the tire's Traction Zone, which uses a more tractive tread compound to help increase grip for superior handling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV