SPDR S&P 500 ETF
Up first, it makes sense to take a look at the SPDR S&P 500 ETF ( SPY). After all, SPY is the most investible proxy for the S&P 500 index -- and one of the best way to "buy stocks" in general. A quick look at the chart should tell you everything you need to know about this stock. You don't have to be an expert technical analyst to see that SPY is still in an uptrend.
Even though the uptrend in stocks got shifted lower with June's correction, the trendline connecting this rally's lows is very well defined right now -- and it's getting tested this week. A breakdown below trendline support would be a very negative signal for stocks in the intermediate term. But as of yet, it hasn't happened. In fact, tests of trendline support have historically been the optimal time to buy shares on the way up. So with SPY testing its price floor again now, it makes sense to buy early signs of a bounce.Buying off a support bounce makes sense for two big reasons: It's the spot where shares have the furthest to move up before they hit resistance, and it's the spot where the risk is the least (because shares have the least room to move lower before you know you're wrong). The bottom line is this: It's still way too early to turn bearish on this market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV