NEW YORK, Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates pulled back, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate falling to 4.62 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.35 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage settled at 3.66 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate dropped to 4.77 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were lower also, with the popular 5-year adjustable rate reverting to where it was two weeks ago at 3.61 percent, while the 10-year ARM stepped back to 4.14 percent.One week after jumping to a two-year high, mortgage rates reversed course and pulled back. Weak economic reports on new home sales and durable good orders, coupled with nervousness about a potential military strike against Syria helped drive mortgage rates lower. Any time there is nervousness in financial markets, investors gravitate to the safety of U.S. government debt, to which mortgage rates are closely related. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.62 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,027.68, a difference of $127 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.62% -- down from 4.74% last week (avg. points: 0.35)15-year fixed: 3.66% -- down from 3.75% last week (avg. points: 0.23)5/1 ARM: 3.61% -- down from 3.69% last week (avg. points: 0.23)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV