Confronting Compulsive Spending: Ask Noah
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Q: I'm a compulsive spender. I went to several weekly meetings and thought I'd curbed my shopping problem. Recently I've been seeing similar behavior patterns pop up including increased online purchasing. It's been difficult to get myself back to a meeting...I'm so ashamed. How can I get the treatment I know I need without feeling like I've failed?
A: In the age of consumerism, marked by seemingly unlimited credit and then massive debt, compulsive spending problems have become a very commonplace topic in the therapist's office.
For the purpose of this discussion, let's say you do have an addiction, which you loosely define as a "shopping problem." Whether you want to accept this or not, one of the main features of addiction is relapse. The key is learning from it and moving on.
My suggestion is a two-fold approach:
- 1. Regular attendance at self-help meetings.
- 2. Weekly sessions with an addiction psychotherapist.
- 1. Examining the link between obsessive thoughts and repetitive behaviors.
- 2. Addressing the accompanying depressive symptoms through identifying triggers and establishing coping skills.
- 3. Exploring ways to effectively process anger in a constructive fashion.
- 4. Reestablishing meaningful relationships with supportive family members and friends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV