All year, public school teachers across the U.S. post classroom project requests on DonorsChoose.org. Their needs range from pencils to microscope slides and even live tarantulas for use with biology lessons. One of those requests came from Paula Baucom, a teacher at Will Rogers Middle School in Fair Oaks, a suburb in Sacramento County, Calif., who lacked the resources to provide students with fun, hands-on scientific activities. With the help of the Fuel Your School program, she and her students received owl pellets, along with a curriculum guide that included bone sorting charts and other resources. These materials allowed her students to take on the role of actual scientists as they probed, classified, sorted, and analyzed the bones inside the owl pellets.
“With the state of the California budget, funding for essential hands-on science experiences has been extremely limited,” Baucom said. “With the generosity that Chevron extended through the Fuel Your School program, my students had the opportunity to make connections about food chains and ecosystems that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, and developed an increased interest and passion in science.”
This program is one of many in which Chevron works with local communities, governments and nonprofit organizations to increase learning opportunities for students and support the social and economic vitality of communities. Chevron has invested more than $100 million in STEM education programs over the past three years.
The 2013 Fuel Your School program will help fund eligible classroom projects developed by public school teachers and posted to DonorsChoose.org in the following communities:
- Alameda and Contra Costa counties, Calif.
- Sacramento County, Calif.
- Kern County, Calif.
- Orange County, Calif.
- Select cities in the South Bay* portion of Los Angeles County, Calif.
- Anchorage and Matanuska-Susitna boroughs, Alaska
- Multnomah and Washington counties, Ore.
- Salt Lake and Davis counties, Utah
- Harris County, Texas
- Jackson County, Miss.
- St. Tammany, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, Lafourche, Terrebonne, Lafayette, Jefferson and Vermillion parishes, La.
- Clayton, DeKalb and Fulton counties, Georgia
- Miami-Dade County, Florida