5 Places to Go Where You Can Still Savor the Luxury of Oysters
For between $250 and $500 the hotel will deliver a three- to five-course "blind tasting menu" as you relax on your daybed -- a regular part of which is oysters.
Daybed dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and no matter which meal you choose, it can involve oysters.
"Most of the time it's going to be raw oysters, as a lot of food and culture here is Japanese, and nine times out of 10, that's raw food," explains Carl Anderson, the hotel's director of food and beverage. "But sometimes it involves a variation on an Oyster Rockefeller dish. And Hawaiian palates are not in tune to spicy as much, so we usually play on the fruit flavors, something sweeter, heavy into mango or pineapple."
Oysters, mango, pineapple. Fabulous.So why is this experience so luxurious, and why did it make our oyster list? Anderson explained it best. "We are one of the top five hotels in Hawaii, and the word luxury is part of what we do," Anderson explains. "It's not the traditional luxury you would get with a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. It's more of a casual style of luxury, with a younger attitude ... and oysters, champagne, these are things that are quintessentially of a luxurious nature. High-class and high-caliber foods. They're very hard to get and very difficult to prepare well. And when you can prepare it well, like we do here, you know you have something special."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV