Other top tailgating cars according to the Cars.com experts are (listed alphabetically):
- 2013 Chevrolet Suburban: For those who need to haul the most passengers and gear, the Suburban can't be beat. With an available front bench seat, this SUV can accommodate up to nine fans plus minivan-beating cargo space large enough for grills, coolers and chairs behind the third row.
- 2013 Chrysler Town & Country: Beyond the potential minivan embarrassment that some tailgaters might have, the Town & Country boasts impressive cargo room and available powered rear tailgate seats. Beyond that, Chrysler claims a segment-exclusive rear entertainment setup: two flip-down screens viewable from behind the open liftgate.
- 2013 Ford Flex: The Flex boasts substantial cargo space behind the third row, so an efficient packer could cram a small grill and coolers behind as many as seven football fans. Unlike many three-row SUVs, the Flex's third row fits adults in reasonable comfort. During the cookout, that third row converts to a rear-facing tailgate seat.
- 2013 GMC Acadia: The Acadia is perfect for the minivan hater who still wants minivan utility. The three-row Acadia boasts van-like cargo space large enough for all of the tailgating essentials. It also has available cargo-area stereo controls, which means you can plug (and charge) your iPhone up front while manning the playlist out back.
- 2013 Honda Fit: A repeat, if unlikely, candidate, the Fit's small size hides some surprising cargo room for its size behind the rear seats and even more if you fold them down. It also has the best fuel mileage in the group to help save money on a long trip to the stadium or traveling to away games.
- 2014 Honda Odyssey: The Odyssey has all the minivan goods: best-in-class cargo room behind the second row, plus a widescreen entertainment screen visible from behind an open tailgate. New for 2014 is the Odyssey's available HondaVac system, whose powerful ShopVac vacuum makes cleaning up after the party a breeze.
- 2013 Honda Ridgeline: The Ridgeline returns to the list for 2013 thanks to its drainable in-bed trunk, allowing you to leave the cooler at home. Fold the crew cab's backseat cushions up and you get enough vertical storage to fit a small grill. New for 2013, a standard rearview camera should help you back into those tight tailgate spots.
- 2014 Subaru Forester: The redesigned Forester preserves its nameplate's excellent visibility. For a small SUV with standard all-wheel drive and good cargo room, the Subaru has sightlines that should keep nearby tailgates well within view. The big win? The more expensive models have a removable cargo tray in back, which helps with post-partying cleanup.
- 2013 Toyota Sienna: The Sienna stands out for one thing, and that's cargo room. We're talking a gargantuan cargo area with the third row stowed and the second row removed. That's better than any other minivan or SUV.
In addition to naming the top tailgating vehicles of the season, Cars.com is also getting back into the football spirit this fall as the Presenting Sponsor of ESPN Saturday Afternoon College Football. For more information on the Cars.com experts top picks for the tailgating season, visit blogs.cars.com. Please tailgate responsibly.
Cars.com is an award-winning online destination for car shoppers that offers information from consumers and experts to help buyers formulate opinions on what to buy, where to buy and how much to pay for a car. Cars.com offers thousands of new and used vehicle listings, consumer reviews, side-by-side comparison tools, photo galleries, videos, unbiased editorial content and many other tools. Cars.com puts millions of car buyers in control of their shopping process with the information they need to make confident buying decisions. Launched in June 1998, Cars.com is a division of Classified Ventures LLC, which is owned by leading media companies, including A.H. Belo (NYSE: AHC), Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI), The McClatchy Company (NYSE: MNI), Tribune Company and The Washington Post Company (NYSE: WPO).SOURCE Cars.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV