FLAT ROCK, Mich., Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- With 1,400 new jobs and a $555 million investment, Flat Rock Assembly Plant begins Ford Fusion production
- Production added to improve tight availability of Ford Fusion; U.S. Fusion sales up 13 percent this year
- Ford will hire almost 6,500 workers in the U.S. this year to support new products, growth and investment; company has added more than three-quarters of the 12,000 hourly jobs it committed to add in the U.S. by 2015
Supported by 1,400 new employees, the new Ford Fusion will roll off the line at Flat Rock Assembly Plant today, marking the first time the popular car has been built in the United States.
The move expands Fusion availability by more than 30 percent – up to 350,000 units annually – as the midsize sedan is setting sales records for Ford.
"With its bold design and great fuel economy, Fusion has exceeded all of our expectations, with demand outstripping supply," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of The Americas. "Fusion in Flat Rock is a win for all of our stakeholders – including customers, employees and dealers. At the same time, Ford is continuing its massive investment in America by creating another 1,400 jobs."The 1,400 new employees Ford hired to support added production at Flat Rock Assembly Plant puts the company more than 75 percent of the way toward its goal of creating 12,000 hourly jobs in the United States by 2015. In 2013 alone, Ford is hiring nearly 6,500 new hourly and salaried employees in the U.S. to support products, growth and investment. Strong Fusion sales Fusion sales – up 13 percent in the U.S. this year – remain very strong. Through July, Ford sold more than 181,000 Fusions, 21,000 more than were sold in the same period last year. Fusion vehicles are selling in fewer than 20 days in such key markets as San Francisco, Los Angeles and Miami, compared with the industry average of approximately 60 days. The high-end Fusion Titanium is turning even faster in these markets – fewer than 15 days on dealer lots. Demand for Fusion is growing as the sedan continues to win over buyers from other automakers, particularly Asian manufacturers, with a competitive conquest rate of 50 percent.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts