Baby Names Celebrating Workers' Rights This Labor Day
AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Most Americans view Labor Day as a celebration ending the summer, or the extra holiday they get in September to BBQ or take a long weekend. It was originally created though during the labor movement to pay tribute to the American workers and the many labor advocates who worked tirelessly to preserve the rights of all us little guys. Many people contributed to the success of this movement, and it is a great time to recognize some of the top names...for all of you with upcoming September babies, one of these might be the perfect inspiration you were looking for:
1) Lucy – Lucy Randolph Mason was a social reformer who sought racial justice and was dedicated to bringing more humane conditions for the working people.
2) Samuel – Samuel Gompers formed the American Federation of Labor (AFL) in 1887 and was the first and longest living President of the AFL. He has been known as playing the biggest role in American labor history.3) Addie – Addie Wyatt's major achievement was to enhance and protect the rights of women in the workplace. She continuously fought for equality and was an active protestor along Dr. MLK Jr. in the early 1960s. 4) Lane – Lane Kirkland had a everlasting impact on World Affairs as a labor union leader and was the President of the American Federation of Labor – Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) for 16 years. 5) Cesar – Cesar Chavez was a captivating, self-taught rhetorical genius that organized a union of farmers, becoming a strong labor leader and civil rights activist. He now viewed as a symbol of hope. 6) Peter – Peter J. McGuire is know as the "father" of Labor Day as he is credited for proposing this holiday in 1882. He promoted the need for a national labor federation. 7) Nelson – Nelson Hale Cruikshank helped create Social Security and Medicare. He was the first director of the AFL-CIO Department of Social Security, founded in 1955. Are you looking for the perfect baby name and want to feel inspired this Labor Day? Then one of these names might be for you! Lacey Moler is co-founder of Belly Ballot, a new social site that allows parents to choose their favorite baby names and invite friends and family to vote via Facebook or Twitter. Founded in Winter of 2012, Belly Ballot draws thousands of expecting parents every month and was recently featured on NPR, Parenting Magazine, USA Today, and many others. Create your naming experience by creating a ballot today. Lacey is a mom of three and former private equity analyst. Follow her on Twitter at @bellyballot CONTACT: Lacey Moler, info@BellyBallot.com SOURCE Belly Ballot
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts