Precious Metals and Miners Flash Short-Sell Signal
Gold Miners Trading Daily Chart:
This daily chart really shows my thinking for miners and the precious metals sector as a whole. The recent weakness in gold miners to the down side points to distribution of shares. This is very negative for the price of physical gold and silver as gold mining stocks tend to lead physical metals.
The yellow box shows a possible major stage 1 basing pattern forming. If this is the case, then we will have a great opportunity in the coming months when the precious metals down trend completes a reversal and starts heading higher.
How to Trade Precious Metals and Gold Miners: In short, I think that staying in cash or shorting metals is the play for the next couple weeks. After that, anything can happen. Until price breaks down or finally completes the basing pattern and confirms a market bottom I would be very cautious trading here. In the last week members of my trading newsletter took profits on our short S&P 500 trade and we closed a long trade in natural gas for a quick 6.5% gain. Join our community of traders and have your money on the right side of the market! This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV