By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders are looking to make some fast money in Pfizer (PFE) now that the pharmaceutical giant has pulled back to a key support level.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected unusual activity in the Weekly 29 calls expiring next Friday, Sept. 6, where more than 7,800 contracts were purchased. Volume was almost 12 times higher than the strike's previous open interest, indicating that new positions were initiated. Most of the large blocks fetched 7 cents.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, letting investors cheaply position for a rally. For instance, a gain of barely 3% by expiration would more than double the value of the contracts.Pfizer shares rose 0.77% to $28.21 on Wednesday and have been consolidating for the last six months. The stock is near the bottom of that range and trying to bounce at its 200-day moving average, which could make some investors think that it's attractive at this level. Total option volume was twice the daily average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 3-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in PFE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV