IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Construction of the first Nissan ZEOD RC chassis is nearing completion and the ground-breaking car that will "electrify Le Mans" set to hit the track for the first time in the UK in early September.
After the recent completion of the car's carbon fiber tub, a team of Nissan engineers has worked around the clock in the UK to finish the inaugural car build and fit the twin electric engines that will initially power the car.
Spaniard Lucas Ordonez was announced last week as the official test and development driver for the program at the Nissan 360 global media event in California.The 28-year-old Spaniard was the inaugural Nissan PlayStation GT Academy winner and this year recently scored a third place class finish at the Spa-Francorchamps 24-hour. Ordonez will climb aboard the Nissan ZEOD RC for the first time next week when his custom-molded seat will be manufactured. When the car hits the track for the first time, the ZEOD RC will run in pure electric mode with zero emissions. Throughout the course of the development program, Nissan will test a number of "electrified" drive train options before locking in its package for next year's Le Mans 24 Hour. "We're at a very exciting time in the development of the car and ready to kick off what will be an extensive test program between now and when we roll out the pit lane for the first time at Le Mans next year," said Nissan's Global Motorsport Director, Darren Cox. "Just developing a single power train option in only twelve months would be a mammoth task but we're looking to carefully examine a number of options to ascertain which will be best suited for Le Mans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV