In a report from research firm e-Marketer, Facebook is poised to clinch 15.8% of the mobile ad revenue market this year, up from 5.35% last year. Prior to 2012, Facebook did not generate any revenue from mobile advertising. The research firm had previously said that Facebook would win 12.9% of the mobile ad market in 2013.
In Facebook's blowout second quarter, the company generated $1.6 billion in total advertising revenue, 41% of which came from mobile.
In contrast, Google's expected to own 53.17% of the $16.65 billion mobile ad market this year, up from 52.36% in 2012.Facebook and Google are going to continue to battle it out for mobile supremacy, especially as Facebook really ramps up its offerings. The Menlo Park, Calif.-based social network has 1.15 billion users, with 819 million monthly active users (MAUs) coming from mobile. Rounding out the top five in terms of mobile advertising market shares are Pandora (P), YP (formerly Yellow Pages) and Twitter, with 2.37%, 2.27% and 1.85%, respectively. Across all means of digital advertising, Google continues to remain supreme, owning 32.84% of the market, but Facebook is right behind Google again, with 5.41% of the market. Yahoo! (YHOO) is in third, though e-Marketer expects the Marissa Mayer-led company to lose market share from last year, down 40 basis points to end the year with 2.97% of the market. Microsoft (MSFT) and IAC Interactive (IACI) round out the top five. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV