ADVISORY, Aug. 28, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. and European stocks fell on growth concerns and Mideast tensions that drove oil prices higher. Agricultural products, oil, gold and silver all moved higher, although mining stocks suffered, despite a dollar that was little changed against most currencies. The NASDAQ EM Europe Index (NQEMEU) fell 3.6%, while the PHLX Housing Sector Index (HGX) and PHLX Semiconductor Index (SOX) declined 2.5% and 2.3%, respectively. The NASDAQ Commodity Corn INDEX ER (NQCICER) rose 5.3% and the NASDAQ Commodity Gold Index ER (NQCIGCER) was up 3.5% during this period.
"Caution seems to have entered the marketplace in recent days as tensions in Syria have resulted in oil prices moving higher," said David Krein, Managing Director, Nasdaq OMX Global Indexes. "And though recent economic data such as home prices and consumer confidence has not been bad, that has just given ammunition to tapering proponents."
|TOP INDEX MOVERS LAST 5 TRADING DAYS (+/-)|
|EQUITY INDEXES:||8/20/13 - 8/27/13|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||-3.6%|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||-2.5%|
|PHLX SEMICONDUCTOR INDEX (SOX)||-2.3%|
|NASDAQ EMERGING MARKETS INDEX (NQEM)||-2.0%|
|PHLX DEFENSE SECTOR INDEX (DFX)||-2.0%|
|COMMODITY INDEXES:||8/20/13 - 8/27/13|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CORN INDEX ER (NQCICER)||+5.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY AGRICULTURE INDEX ER (NQCIACER)||+4.7%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY DIV AGRICULTURE INDEX ER (NQCIDAER)||+4.0%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CRUDE OIL INDEX ER (NQCICLER)||+3.7%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY GOLD INDEX ER (NQCIGCER)||+3.5%|
- Gold and silver moved sharply higher for the five-day period, but mining companies suffered. The PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU),which tracks companies involved in the gold or silver mining industry, fell 3.3%.
- The NASDAQ Composite Index fell 1% for the five-day period as other broad market indexes were weak. The focus on oil prices is hurting sentiment this week, but markets are only a few weeks removed from all-time highs.
- Housing Sector stocks continued to decline, as some investors are watching interest rates with a sense of caution. The PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX) fell 2.5% for over the last five days and is now 2.4% lower year-to-date.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 firstname.lastname@example.org Nora Sabry Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5468 email@example.com Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV